Skip to main content

Replacement EAD Card

If the case status on USCIS is showing that your EAD card was mailed, but you never received it, there is a possibility that it was undeliverable or lost by USPS (U.S. Postal Service). Follow these directions from USCIS on how to check your case status online.

Replacement EAD lost in the mail

If your case status shows that your EAD card was mailed but you never received it, follow these steps:

  • Obtain the tracking number for your EAD card. Call USCIS to obtain the tracking number for your EAD Card. If you have registered for an account with, the tracking information should show in your account if the card has been mailed.
  • Check the tracking number. If it shows “delivered,” contact USPS to see if they are able to locate the mail for you.  If USPS is responsible for the lost card, you will need to obtain an official letter on letterhead from USPS stating this. If approved, USCIS will then issue a new replacement EAD at no additional cost.
  • If USPS is not able to locate the missing mail (EAD Card), fill out the USCIS Non-Delivery of Card online form. You will need the receipt number.

If your case status shows “undeliverable”:

It means that USPS may have returned the EAD to USCIS. 

Follow the instructions in the online USCIS case status to request that USCIS resend the card to you. Be sure that your address on file with USCIS is correct. If your address must be updated, do so as soon as possible through your online account.

If USPS determines they are not responsible for the loss of the EAD:

You will have to file for a replacement of lost EAD card and pay the USCIS I-765 filing fee again. See instructions below.

Replacement, lost, stolen or damaged EAD card

Students who need a replacement EAD Card (e.g., the original EAD Card was lost, stolen, destroyed, or it included an error by the applicant) will need to file original OPT paperwork and repay the USCIS I-765 fee to the Service Center.

You will need the following:

  • New form I-765 either e-filed or paper (if filing by mail) indicating reason for filing as: 1.b. - Replacement of lost, stolen or damaged employment authorization document. Remember: On the I-765 form, you must indicate you have previously applied for OPT or STEM and indicate your previous receipt numbers. (You previously applied and your card was lost, stolen, or damaged!)
  • Letter (from you) explaining the circumstances of how your EAD Card was lost, stolen, never received, or damaged. Attach any supporting evidence you have. For a stolen EAD Card, you should attach a police report. If you never received the EAD card at all, be sure to clearly state that in the letter.
  • Copy of OPT I-20 that was previously issued by OISS for your original OPT/STEM OPT application. It does not have to be issued within the past 30/60 days.
  • 2 U.S. Passport Photos (with name and I-94 number written lightly in pencil on back of each), taken within the past 30 days.
  • USCIS Fee. See the USCIS I-765 page for current filing fee.
  • Copy of passport biographical page and F-1 visa stamp, if applicable.
  • Copy of most recent I-94 Record.
  • Copy of your previous OPT/STEM I-797 receipt notice and copy of original EAD Card, if applicable. 
  • If it is a replacement request due to an error by USCIS, the original EAD is required. Follow the directions in the next section.
  • If filing by mailForm G-1145 to confirm receipt and obtain case number in advance of paper notification.

Document Checklist: Refer to the Apply for OPT or Apply for STEM OPT pages for specific instructions on how to prepare these documents for electronic filing or filing by mail.

EAD correction due to USCIS error

If you’ve received an EAD Card but it contains incorrect information due to an USCIS error (not a personal error) such as a typo in name or incorrect birthdate, you must return the original EAD card to get it corrected by USCIS. USCIS will issue a corrected EAD within 30 - 45 days of receiving the EAD that contains the error.

If you are not sure if the error is made by USCIS or you have questions, please contact your OISS Advisor

Instructions to have EAD corrected due to USCIS error:

(1) BEFORE following the instructions below, be sure that 1) you have made a photocopy of the card, 2) you have already provided the card for your employment hiring process, SSN application, or driver's license renewal, and 3) you do not have any international travel plans in the next 1-2 months. 

(2) Go to the USCIS e-request page.

(3) Select "Typographic Error" under the “Service Request” section.

(4) Fill out and submit the "Typographic Error" e-form.

(5) You will receive an email with instructions. Follow the instructions to mail your EAD back to USCIS.

Please note: If USCIS determines that the card contains incorrect information that is NOT due to USCIS error, they will return the EAD Card. You will need to request a new EAD and repay the USCIS I-765 filing fee.