Expense Approval Roles & Responsibilities
Preparing for Expense Report Approval Workflow Changes in NUFinancials
Each individual within the workflow process has the responsibility of ensuring that travel expenditures are authorized and accurate.
The Expenses Supervisor (and backup supervisors) in myHR will need to be configured on the myHR “Reports To” pages for employees in the following paygroups:
- MON (monthly staff)
- MOF (monthly faculty)
- BIR (biweekly staff)
- MGW (graduate students)
- NMF (Northwestern Medicine)
Your myHR Administrator will need to make the changes for your school/unit.
The following examples of the roles and responsibilities expected of travelers and approvers are provided as guidance for the identification and maintenance of the appropriate approvers in the workflow process.
- Project Approval
- Levels 1, 2, and 3 Approvals
- Supervisor Approval
- ASRSP Approval
- Accounts Payable Approval
- Has requested permission for travel (or other reimbursement) from the appropriate supervisor or sponsor for authorized University business. Also, the traveler verifies that the submitted expenses are reasonable and appropriate.
Project Approval (An optional approval that may be assigned to PIs and managers of Project accounts)
- Approves the use of the project’s funds for the expense reimbursement and acknowledges that the purpose of the travel is in accordance with any mandated restrictions.
- Has prior knowledge of the travel occurring and agrees that the total expense reimbursement is reasonable and appropriate.
- Reviews all attached receipts for accuracy and completeness and verifies the application of any travel authorization/cash advances.
- Examines all expenditures and ensures they are in compliance with University policy.
- Determines that the chart string used is appropriate and that there are no restrictions on the funds.
Supervisor Approval (The department chair or faculty supervisor approves expenditures for faculty, the immediate supervisor approves for staff or students)
- Acknowledges prior approval of the trip or reimbursement.
- Validates the stated business purpose of the trip or reimbursement.
- Agrees that the total expense reimbursement complies with University policy and is reasonable and appropriate.
- Ensures that the travel and related expenditures are in accordance with sponsor guidelines and University policy, and reviews backup documentation for auditability and completeness.
- Looks for material violations of University policy and reviews workflow approvals.
- Reviews documentation for general completeness.