Skip to main content

Inviting Family on B-1/B-2 Visa

B-1/B-2 Visitor Visas

For family members who are not the children or spouse of an F-1/J-1 visa holder, a B-1/B-2 visitor visa is required to visit the United States. However, citizens of certain countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without obtaining a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program.

To obtain a B-1/B-2 visitor visa, it is recommended to work with a local travel agent in the home country. It is also recommended to reach out to the nearest U.S. embassy/consulate to verify the documents required to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa.

Documents Needed to Apply for B-1/B-2 Visa

The following documents are required to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa:

Additional Recommended Documents

To strengthen the B-1/B-2 visa application, additional documents could be provided to clarify that the visit is temporary and/or for a specific occasion (e.g., graduation ceremony), and that the visitor will be financially supported while visiting the U.S.

The additional documents should also demonstrate proof of ties to the home country, indicating that the visitor intends to return home after a temporary stay in the U.S.

Examples of proof of ties to the home country include:

  • Proof of employment – a letter from the employer indicating that the individual is currently employed and taking time off, but is due back at their job on a specific date.
  • Proof of property ownership – house, apartment, or business. •
  • Proof of contact with other family members in the home country.
  • Proof of finances – bank statement, stocks, property.

A letter of invitation written by the international student or exchange visitor could also benefit the visa application. This letter should indicate the specific reason for the visit (e.g., graduation) and include information about the purpose of travel and planned itinerary or schedule. It may include information about the U.S. immigration status of the international student or exchange visitor. See a template for this letter of invitation to accompany the B-1/B-2 visa application.