Preparing for Arrival
Prepare for your move by acquiring housing, necessary immunizations and health requirements, and more. Explore all of our pre-arrival resources.
Before You Leave
Take the steps to obtain on-campus or off-campus housing and fulfilling health requirements, including getting immunizations and student health insurance.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Northwestern University requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty and staff who come to campus. We also strongly recommend boosters for those who are medically able to obtain them, as they minimize severe illness.
If you haven’t done so already, please comply with the COVID-19 requirement by taking one of the following actions by August 28:
Report your Vaccination
- If you have already received a full WHO/FDA-approved COVID-19 primary vaccine series, immediately attest to your vaccination status by completing the COVID-19 Vaccination Form.
- If you are unvaccinated and plan to become vaccinated, please obtain your first shot of a two-shot WHO/FDA-approved vaccine series and submit an exception request with documentation of your first dose and confirmation of a second-dose appointment. This will provide you with a temporary one-month exception while you complete your full vaccination series.
- If you opt to receive a single-dose WHO/FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine, you may do so and then attest to your vaccination status immediately.
Plan Your Arrival
F-1 and J-1 students may not arrive to the U.S. more than 30 days before the start date listed on the F-1 I-20 or the J-1 DS-2019. This requirement, as well as the student check-in and orientation dates, will need to be considered when arranging travel. Lean more about:
- Arrival, including inspection at the Port of Entry, and mandatory check-in
- Travel to Northwestern University from local airports