Skip to main content

Australian National Employees (E-3)

The E-3 specialty occupation visa category is for Australian nationals (AN).

Visa summary:

  • Visa-holders are skilled workers with a bachelor's degree or higher.
  • Visas can be held for an unlimited amount of time. The initial visa and extensions have 2-year increments.
  • The OISS only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, which must confirm sponsorship of an E-3 before an AN can apply.
  • Dependents of the E-3 beneficiary hold E-3 dependent visa status. Read more on Visas For Spouses and Children.

Types of E-3 Visa Applications

There are several different types of E-3 visas, depending on whether you are a new or current E-3 visa-holder.

Applying for an Initial E-3 Visa

Initial E-3 applications are for Australian nationals (AN) outside the U.S. and those currently in the U.S. in other visa categories such as F-1, J-1, B1/B2, etc

Application procedures and checklists

Extending or Amending an E-3

If you are an E-3 beneficiary who needs to update your status in some way, you will fall into one of the following E-3 types:

  • E-3 COE (Change of Employer) are transferring to Northwestern from another institution.
  • E-3 EOS (Extension) would like to extend employment end-date
  • E-3 Amend hold an E-3 at Northwestern but need to change details such as job title, job description, salary, or hours worked.
Amendment procedures and checklists

Requirements for Maintaining Visa Status