Skip to main content

Short Term Visitors (B1/WB)

People who are temporarily visiting the United States for business fall under the B-1 or WB status.

  • B-1/WB visitors come to campus for 90 days or less.
  • The visit purpose is consultation, observation, or to give a single lecture. It is not for ongoing lecturing or ongoing teaching, research, or studying.

The Difference Between WB and B1

A visitor's citizenship will determine whether he or she falls in the WB or B-1 category:

  • The WB category enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States without obtaining a visa stamp. This is called the Visa Waiver Program. Visit the Department of State website for the most recent list of countries.
  •  A B-1 visa stamp is required for citizens of all other countries, or those who otherwise don’t qualify for the Visa Waiver Program.

Next Steps