Skip to main content

J-1 Visas

J-1 status is used for those coming to NU as visiting researchers, professors, and collaborators. They are called J-1 Exchange Visitors. The length of a J-1 Exchange Visitor's stay ranges depending on his or her J-1 type; however, the maximum stay is five years. View the types of J-1 Visitor Visas

Important Note

Staff positions hired through human resources can hold J-1 visa status only if they meet the following criteria:

  • Must be a termed appointment with a clear start and end date.
  • The primary function of the position must be research-based.

Each position will be reviewed by a scholar advisor to be sure that it fits the J-1 exchange visitor program category. A job description and job matrix must be included when submitting documentation to OISS.

Positions that are not eligible for J-1 visa status may be eligible for H-1B employment visa status. See our H-1B Documentation Requirements webpage to learn more.

Steps for Host Department

Visa Adjustments

There are a number of reasons why a J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) may need to adjust their J-1 status and/or their DS-2019. For more information visit the J-1 Visa Adjustments page.

Visa Compliance

J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) must abide by certain visa requirements and rules, which are listed on the Visa Compliance page. Also, there are additional rules for those in the Student Intern, and Research Scholar or Professor categories.