Our Mission & Role
The OISS Mission
At Northwestern University's Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISS) within the Roberta Buffett Institute for Global Affairs, our mission is to create an inclusive environment that honors international students' and scholars' diverse experiences, cultures, and aspirations. We believe in the power of education to transform perspectives globally. We aim to equip our international community with the tools to navigate immigration compliance in the U.S. OISS plays a vital role in cultivating a dynamic, intercultural atmosphere on campus for international students, scholars, faculty, and staff through immigration sponsorship, ensuring seamless integration for those admitted, appointed, or hired by the university.
- Issue timely U.S. immigration documents for smooth visa applications, travel, and change of status applications.
- Provide accurate guidance on maintaining legal immigration status and offer orientation and outreach programs for students, faculty, scholars, and staff.
- Serve as a resource to all departments across campus on U.S. visa and immigration sponsorship requirements.
- Assist international individuals by referring them to relevant programming and workshops for successful transition and adjustment.
- Support Northwestern’s globalization efforts by sponsoring non-U.S. citizens for U.S. visas and facilitating their integration within the community.