Phishing Attempt Alert
August 26, 2020
A Northwestern staff member was recently asked to provide personal information to someone posing as a vendor. This scam involves a fraudulent email from someone pretending to be a vendor, asking for a staff member's NetID and password.
Here are some tips to help protect you and Northwestern from this type of scam:
- Never provide your personal information, including your Northwestern NetID and password.
- Carefully scrutinize all emails.
- If you believe the email is fraudulent, do not click on any links. They could contain malware.
- Do not reply to spam or phishing attempts.
- Call the vendor directly, using their confirmed and published information, to validate the email.
Please report suspicious emails to Northwestern IT Information Security at email@example.com. If you have any other questions, contact Procurement at firstname.lastname@example.org.