Skip to main content

Canadian & Mexican Nationals (TN)

Created under NAFTA and continuing under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), this category facilitates the entry of qualified citizens from Canada and Mexico to temporarily engage in professional business activities.  Eligible employees can be admitted to the U.S. in TN status in increments of up to 3 years at a time.

They can come for the following purposes:

  • Working for a U.S. employer as a professional.
  • Working for a foreign employer (including even a non-Canadian or non-Mexican employer) to provide pre-arranged professional services to a U.S. employer.

Occupations listed in USMCA Chapter 16 Appendix 2 qualify for employment under USMCA and must meet the minimum qualification for each profession, as listed.


  • Must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico.
  • Must possess the qualification and necessary license as per the designated occupation.
  • Degree must have been earned from institutions located in Canada, Mexico or the U.S.; if not, a credential evaluation must be done for equivalency.
  • Employment must be temporary and cannot be used to bring tenure-line faculty.
  • Position must be NU benefits-eligible and paid.

To view instructions for the host department, visit the TN Steps for Host Department webpage.

Steps for Incoming TN Employees

Incoming employees must present documents upon entering the country.

Canadian Citizens

1. Present the following documents to an immigration officer:

Present these at the border if driving or to an officer at the pre-flight inspection facility located at any of the three major Canadian airports (Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto):

  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Evidence of required qualifications (diploma, license, transcripts, etc.)
  • Invitation/employment letter from NU department
  • $50 filing fee (must be in U.S. dollars)

2. The Port of Entry officer will approve or deny your TN status.

If approved at the the border, you will be entered in TN status. The electronic I-94 record will note the date of entry and name of employer.

Please remember: Canadian citizens are visa exempt and need not apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate.

Mexican Citizens

1. Apply for a TN visa.

Present the following documents to a consular officer at a U.S. consulate in Mexico at the time of the visa application.

  • Valid Mexican passport
  • Evidence of required qualifications (diploma, license, transcripts, etc.)
  • Employment letter from hiring department

2. Receive TN visa stamp from U.S. embassy/consulate.

Travel and enter the U.S. in TN status.  After you enter, your electronic I-94 record will note the date of entry and name of employer.