Skip to main content

E-3 (Australian National) Visas

The E-3 specialty occupation visa category is for Australian nationals (AN).

Visa summary:

  • Visa-holders are skilled workers with a bachelor's degree or higher, entering the U.S. to perform services in a “specialty occupation."
  • The initial visa and extensions have 2-year increments, and stay can be granted indefinitely.
  • The OISS only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, which must confirm sponsorship of an E-3 before an AN can apply.
  • Dependents of the E-3 beneficiary hold E-3 dependent visa status, and may apply for work authorization upon arrival in the US. 
  • E-3 visas are not dual-intent, unlike the H-1B visa.

Steps for the Host Department

Extension/Amendment, Change of Employer or Change of Status to E-3

  • E-3 COE (Change of Employer) are transferring to Northwestern from another institution.
  • E-3 EOS (Extension/ Amendment) would like to extend/amend employment.
  • E-3 COS (Change of Status) currently holds status in another immigration category such as J-1 or F-1.

View steps for the scholar on the Instructions for  E-3 beneficiaries page. 

Instructions for host departments

E-3 Dependents (Spouses and Children)

Dependents of the E-3 beneficiary hold E-3 dependent visa status. Visit theE3 Visas for Spouses and Children page for more information.