Annual Salary Planning
Salary Planning is the annual process to assign merit increases, reappointments, and promotions for staff and faculty members.
Deadlines for entering your annual salary planning information are as follows:
- May 16: the Salary Planning tool is available to approved administrators in myHR
- June 14: deadline for FSM faculty and staff merit increases
- July 12: deadline for faculty and staff merit increases (excluding FSM)
- July 30: deadline for faculty and staff promotions and reappointments
Note: All reappointments with end dates prior to September 1 must be submitted by July 30 in order to process a timely merit increase
- July 7 - July 12: 'NEW' Blackout Period for Transfers, Promotions and Equity Adjustments
For additional key dates, refer to the calendar
Training & Assistance
For access to the myHR salary planning pages, new users must fully complete online training and submit a myHR General Access Form. Access may be subject to additional approvals.
- Training: Log into one of our online courses to complete your salary planning training at any time:
- Open lab assistance: Stop by a myHR Open Lab for assistance in person. For available dates and times, click here.
- Quick guides: For step-by-step guidance, refer to the following guides:
- Contacts: For additional help during the planning period, refer to the salary planning Contact List.
Staff performance is determined by the supervisor through the Performance Excellence process and captured in myHR Learn.
- See the Performance Excellence tools and guides
- To assist in your FY20 staff planning process, review the Annual Staff Performance Excellence and Salary Planning Guide (coming soon)
Salary Planning Queries
Staff Templates and Instructions
Downloadable Excel templates are available for staff salary planning:
Merit Letters & Conversations
Merit Increase letters will be available for staff and librarians on August 26 in myHR, by selecting the “Pay” tile and “My Merit Letter”. If schools/units would like to prepare a more personalized letter, the following instructions and templates can be used on or after August 15:
Effective pay conversations can have a positive effect on engagement and staff members’ intent to stay with Northwestern. To assist you in the process, please reference the Staff Merit Conversations Job Aid.