Extended Sick (EST) Salary Relief
In certain cases, departments may recover salary paid to an employee for time paid during an approved Extended Sick leave. The central HR Extended Sick Pool may be charged for an eligible employee on an approved medical leave following the fifth work day.
- The employee’s medical leave must be for their own illness and must be approved by The Hartford
- The department is responsible for payment during the requisite 5‐workday waiting period before EST begins
- Requests for salary relief must be initiated within 90 days of the date the employee’s leave began (for monthly employees)
- If an employee leaves again within 90 days of their return, there is no 5-workday waiting period
Recovering EST for Biweekly Employees
Upon approval from The Hartford, biweekly-paid employees are automatically coded in Kronos with the “EST” earnings code, and all eligible pay will be charged by default to the HR Extended Sick Pool. No additional action is necessary.
Recovering EST for Monthly Employees
Because they do not complete a daily timesheet, it is the department's responsibility to initiate the EST salary recovery for monthly employees.
- The employee’s monthly salary will be charged as usual to the funding accounts; position funding should not be changed.
- Following payment, a myHR administrator in the affected department or school must enter a journal in myHR to recover salary:
- Credit the appropriate chartstrings for any payment incurred after the 5-workday waiting period
- Charge all salary to the HR Extended Sick Pool: 120‐1130001
- Journals must be entered within 90 days of the initial charge, but may be entered in multiple stages for long leaves.
- All journals directing funds to the EST pool will be reviewed and approved by the HR Benefits division using the EST information from The Hartford.