Benefit Changes After a Position Change
Changes in employment status may impact your eligibility for benefits. A position change is effective the first day of the month following the transition.
Learn more about the ways your change may impact your benefits:
Transferring to a NRSA post-doctoral fellow position
Moving to an NRSA post-doctoral fellow position impacts your eligibility for all benefit plans.
Entering an NRSA Post-doctoral Fellow position
- You are no longer eligible for employee benefits through Northwestern University.
- NRSA recipients and Visiting Scholars are eligible to participate in health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance benefits through Garnett-Powers & Associates.
- Individuals have 31 days from the appointment begin date to elect insurance coverage by accessing the Garnett-Powers via the Benefits tile in myHR.
- Premiums are paid by a combination of funds from the grant, from the University and, if family coverage is elected, from the individual member.
Leaving an NRSA post-doctoral fellow position
- You are eligible for flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, life insurance, disability benefits and retirement savings.
- The one year waiting period for the matched and unmatched retirement savings applies. This waiting period is decreased by the length of continuous service in a regular staff position immediately prior to your NRSA appointment.
- Elect your benefits within 31 days of the change in employment status online via myHR.
Transfer between Qatar and United States campuses
Changing between a Qatar campus position and a United States campus position impacts your eligibility for your benefits. Benefit changes are effective the first day of the month following the transition; arrangements can be made to allow for the benefits transition up to 60 days prior to the move for existing Northwestern University employees.
Moving to Doha, Qatar
- If you transfer from a United States position to a Qatar campus position, you must change your benefit elections online via myHR within 31 days of the change in employment status to elect the international benefits through Cigna International. The international plans will not populate as an option until 24-48 hours after your job transfer is recorded in myHR.
- Faculty and Staff hired directly into a Qatar campus position will complete their benefit elections online through myHR within 31 days of their hire date.
- Same-gender partners are not recognized as eligible dependents under the Cigna International benefits plan.
Returning from Doha, Qatar
- If you return to the United States after holding a Qatar campus position, you are no longer eligible for international benefits. You must change your benefit elections online via myHR within 31 days of the change in employment status to update your enrollment. The stateside plans will not populate as an option until 24-48 hours after your job transfer is recorded in myHR.