Phone Screening Questions
Prepare yourself prior to making contact
- Familiarize yourself with the specific job description and qualifications.
- Understand salary range and specific budget.
- Review the candidate’s resume and identify areas which may require clarification.
- Have a standardized interview format in place.
Conduct the phone screen
- Brief introduction
- Thank them for their interest.
- Review position (duties, location, travel) and department structure.
- Reason for position becoming available.
- Have candidate walk you through resume at a high level.
- What specifically caught your interest in the opportunity?
- Reconfirm that they meet minimum education requirements.
- How does your experience fit with this role (duties or particular program)?
- Why are you exploring new opportunities at this time? How did you reach this decision?
- Identify 1-2 required competencies for the position and ask specific questions related to the competencies.
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States? If so, will you now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status)?
- Confirm their comfort level with location/commute, willingness to travel (if applicable) and understanding of schedule.
- What are your salary expectations for this role?
- If offered the opportunity, how soon would you be able to start in role from a point of offer?
- How far along are you in the interview process for other opportunities you may be actively pursuing?
- Before closing the conversation, give the candidate the opportunity to ask you questions.