1042-S Form Information
Form 1042-S is created for anyone considered a nonresident alien for US tax purposes who received payments from the University for fellowship/scholarship, independent contracted services, or royalties as well as anyone with a benefit under a tax treaty with their resident country.
All 1042-S forms will be sent to the local address for any active employees or students and to the foreign address for anyone who has since left the University.
Name changes and discrepancies
- The Social Security Administration and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) compares your Social Security Name (listed on your Social Security Card) with the name that is reported on the 1042-S Form. For each mismatch, they will fine the University.
- If you change your name at the Social Security Administration, you must change your name in myHR. You can do this by submitting a Personal Data Form with a copy of your new Social Security Card to the Payroll Office.
Information included on 1042-S
For more detail about the information contained on your 1042-S, contact your tax advisor or see the 1042-S Instructions.
Mailing of 1042-S
- Your 1042-S Forms will be in the mail by March 15.
- If you have any questions, please call the Payroll Department on the Evanston campus at (847) 491-7362 or on the Chicago campus at (312) 503-9700.
- If you have not received your 1042-S form in the mail, you may request a 1042-S reprint by following the instructions on the tax form reprint site.