Portable Tuition Benefits
The Dependent Portable Tuition Plans pay benefits toward the cost of tuition and eligible fees for eligible dependents (up to age 26) enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at an accredited, FAFSA-approved college or university other than Northwestern University.
Dependent children taking undergraduate courses as full-time students at schools other than Northwestern University may take advantage of this benefit.
Tuition and eligible fees with consideration for financial aid such as scholarships and grants will be paid at the appropriate percentage.
Approved Dependent Portable Tuition benefit amounts may be paid to the employee or to the student's institution.
To the employee:
- The application must include proof of full payment.
- Tuition benefits will be processed through payroll and paid via direct deposit. If you have multiple accounts designated for your payroll direct deposit, the tuition benefit may be disbursed to all accounts. Please contact the Benefits Division if you do not want this to occur.
To the institution:
- Checks are made payable to the school.
- Checks are issued by Accounts Payable and forwarded to the Benefits Division for pick up, or mailing to the employee.
- Employees are responsible for getting the payment from Northwestern to the student's institution.
|Required Qualified Service||Tuition Benefit||Plan ID|
5 years - Full-time Service
Up to 50% of billed tuition
19 years - Full-time Service*
100% of billed tuition up to $5,616 per academic year
* Eligibility requires date of hire prior to January 1, 2000. Employees hired prior to January 1, 2000 may choose either the percentage or flat amount plan for each child in a family. Once the percentage plan is chosen for a child, an individual may not later choose the flat amount plan for that same child.
An online application is required per dependent child for each term (semester, quarter or trimester) of study.
For each dependent portable tuition application, you will need to submit the following documentation:
- A copy of your most recently filed 1040 tax form as proof of financial dependency. Both the first page showing your child listed as a dependent and the second page showing the signature portion are required.
- Proof of full-time student status: a letter from the school stating that the student is enrolled on a full-time basis for the term in question OR a course list including the student's name, the school's name, and the credit hours for each course.
- An itemized tuition bill from the school bearing the student's name.
- (If you want the check made payable to you) Proof of full payment.
By submitting an application, you are agreeing to the following statement: I certify that the information provided is correct. I agree to comply with the provisions of the Northwestern Tuition Benefit plan as described in the plan document.