Long Term Disability FAQs
Can I elect to have more Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage than the University provides?
Yes, if you already have LTD coverage through Northwestern, you will continue to have the same level of coverage (60 percent of base salary), up to a maximum monthly benefit of $13,800. You will pay for the additional 10 percent ‘Buy Up’ coverage through payroll deduction. [Prior to September 1, 2012, faculty enrolled in LTD were required to pay one-half of the cost of LTD coverage. Going forward, faculty will only pay for the additional 10 percent ‘Buy Up’ amount of coverage.]
Faculty members who were not enrolled in LTD coverage prior to September 1, 2012, will be automatically enrolled in LTD coverage of 50 percent of base salary, up to the maximum specified above. The ‘Buy Up’ option to 60 percent of base salary, subject to the maximum specified above, may also be elected.
Does this change in LTD coverage impact how time off for medical reasons is handled during the six-month period prior to when long term disability benefits begin?
When does LTD coverage start for newly hired faculty members?
How long can a faculty member receive LTD benefits?
After a six-month (26 week) elimination period, the LTD plan will pay a monthly benefit as long as you remain disabled up to a maximum age based on your Social Security Normal Retirement Age.
What is considered a disability?
What are the main components of Northwestern’s disability program?
- The University provides a comprehensive disability program for eligible employees:
- Disabilities lasting 26 weeks or less are covered under the Extended Sick Time plan.
- Disabilities that are longer than 26 weeks are covered under the Long Term Disability plan.
- These disability plans help protect your paycheck if you become disabled and can’t work.
Who’s eligible for Long Term Disability?
When does my coverage start?
How long can I receive benefits?
How much coverage do I have?
Are staff members required to contribute toward the cost of LTD insurance?
Do I need to enroll?
- All eligible employees are automatically covered under the LTD Plan at the 50 percent benefit level.
- If you are newly eligible for the LTD plan, you will automatically be enrolled in it.
What can I expect if I am on LTD?
- Extended Sick Time claims will transition to LTD with limited additional information required from you.
- You can expect to hear from a Hartford Ability Analyst who will conduct a claimant interview, explain the LTD process and answer your questions.
- If approved, LTD benefit payments are issued by The Hartford on a monthly basis. (You may set up direct deposit for LTD payments.)
- You may check your claim or payment status online at the address above or via the telephone claim inquiry system.