Providing a family-friendly environment for faculty, staff and students is important at Northwestern. To support faculty, staff, and students who are nursing, the Office of Human Resources provides the following lactation support resources:
- Lactation room locations
Dedicated lactation rooms are available on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses. Learn how to register for and access them.
- Break time for lactation
The University is required under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) to provide “reasonable break time” for an employee to express breast milk for their nursing child. The requirement applies for one year after the child’s birth.
- Hosting a lactation room
If your school or department is interested in hosting a lactation room in one of your buildings, please view the guidelines for hosting a lactation room.
All lactation room users must register with the Office of Work/Life & Family Resources in Human Resources in order to access your specified room using your iClass WildCard and reserve time via electronic scheduling calendars. We recommend you register as early as possible, at least 48 hours in advance.
Register your iClass WildCard:
- Decide which lactation room is most convenient to your location by visiting the Find a Lactation Room page.
- Email the Work/Life & Family Resources team with the following information:
- First & last name
- Your 7-digit employee ID or student ID number
- A scan or photograph of the front and back of your WildCard
- The date you wish to start using the lactation room (You will be granted access for 6 months from that date, and must renew your access once your 6 months of access has elapsed.)
- Long-term Wildcard access is granted on a six-month basis. If you need access longer than six months, you should advise the contact specified on the list below.
- Guests can access the rooms by contacting the Work/Life & Family Resources team by email, or at 847-467-3631.
- You are welcome to use supplies and are expected to maintain the cleanliness of the room after use.
Gain access to Outlook scheduling calendars
- Reservations for lactations rooms are made through the Outlook calendaring system.
- Contact the Work/Life & Family Resources team to be added to calendar access. Please provide your Northwestern email address.
- Once access is granted, you may make reservations. You are asked to respect the needs of others by using the room only when you have reserved it through the calendaring system.
- Students that do not have access to the Outlook calendaring system will need to request an Exchange Account in order to make reservations; requests can be made to the Work/Life & Family Resources team.