Extended Sick Time (EST)
EST helps staff minimize the financial burdens that might result from a non-work-related accident or illness.
EST program benefitYou must file an EST claim and meet the following criteria before receiving the benefit:
- absent from work due to a disability for seven consecutive calendar days
- eligible for the EST program based on six months of continuous benefits-eligible service
Benefits are available for a period of up to 25 weeks.
Enroll in EST
You are automatically enrolled in EST six months from your original benefits-eligible hire date. No enrollment is required.
The EST program is provided at no cost to you.
- Call The Hartford at 888-541-7283 up to 30 days in advance of a planned absence or within five days of the beginning of an unplanned absence.
- The Hartford, which serves as the Leave Administrator, reviews the claim.
- The Hartford will contact your physician directly to clarify or seek additional information.
- You will be contacted via phone and also by mail of the claim decision. If a claim is denied, follow the appeal process outlined in the letter.