International Students

Getting started

Newly admitted to one of Northwestern's academic programs? Use these webpages and forms to begin the visa application process and plan your trip to campus.


All international students can work on campus, but you will need additional authorization to take advantage of off-campus employment options. These vary by visa type.

SEVIS updates

You may be required to update SEVIS record for a variety of reasons, such as extending your exit date or taking a break in your studies.

Spouses and families

Students who bring their spouses and children to the U.S. have these family members admitted as F-2 or J-2 dependents. Learn about visa requirements and restrictions for dependents, and find resources for them.