Skip to main content


I have a maintenance issue in my room/on my floor/in the building. To whom should I report the problem?

All non-emergency repair requests, including burned-out lightbulbs, should be submitted online via thNU Housing Portal. When asked for a password, enter “wildcat.”

With whom can I speak regarding recurring issues in my room?

Please speak to your RA first. Your RA will then contact the appropriate person.