GeoBlue for Students
All Northwestern students, graduate and undergraduate, are required to enroll in GeoBlue for students to obtain Northwestern’s international medical assistance and insurance plan with GeoBlue. Some students traveling abroad will need to enroll in GeoBlue individually. Students traveling with Northwestern-sponsored groups should check with their group leader to determine if insurance is being purchased on their behalf.
Furthermore, some external study abroad programs (operated by third-party providers) require students to purchase GeoBlue's insurance coverage through their program. In those cases where the program requires GeoBlue health insurance, Northwestern students are not required to purchase it through Northwestern. Northwestern also permits a limited number of exemptions for providers whose insurance plans are deemed compatible to GeoBlue. See Study Abroad Health Insurance for a list of programs exempt from the Northwestern GeoBlue purchase requirement.
- The Northwestern GeoBlue plan is available to students enrolled at Northwestern University for the current or upcoming term who are engaged in university-sponsored or supported travel. For personal travel, students can purchase similar coverage from GeoBlue for leisure travel.
- McGaw Residents are not eligible for the GeoBlue for Students policy (or GeoBlue for Employees). McGaw Residents are encouraged enroll in one of GeoBlue’s commercial products.
- GeoBlue cannot be purchased for less than seven days.
Additional plan Information:
- Snapshot of benefits
- Additional specialty benefits
- Activity exclusions
- Monetary limits
- Accessing routine care abroad
- Reimbursement for care
- Zero deductible/no co-pays/no co-insurance
- Pre-departure consultations with GeoBlue Global Health team
- Routine, non-emergency care (including appointment assistance)
- Continuing services needed for pre-existing condition (such as physical therapy, allergy shots, counseling, routine blood work, etc.)
- Emergency treatment for accidents, injuries, illness, etc.
- Mental health services (including counseling/therapy)
- Prescription medication
- Care coordination/quality assurance
Benefits requiring approval from GeoBlue at the time of need before benefit is conferred:
- Emergency family travel arrangements
- Medical evacuation
- Security/natural disaster evacuation (provided by Drum Cussac)
- Medical escort for travelers unable to return on their own
- Repatriation of remains
- Accidental death/dismemberment benefit
Illness or injury as a result of participating in any of the following activities will not be covered under this policy:
- participation in professional sport, contest or competition, scuba diving*, sky diving, mountaineering (where ropes and climbing equipment are customarily used), ultra-light aircraft, parasailing, sailplaning/gliders, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping
|Specialized Benefits||Student, Spouse or Child|
|Maximum for medical expenses during period of coverage||$250,000|
|Maximum per injury or sickness||$250,000|
|Deductible (per injury or sickness)||$0|
|Accidental Death||up to $10,000 for student, $5,000 for spouse and $1,000 for dependent|
|Repatriation of remains||up to $50,000|
|Medical evacuation per coverage period||up to $250,000|
|Emergency Family Travel Arrangements**||up to $10,000|
* If you have a scuba diving certification, contact OGSS in advance of your trip to discuss coverage.
* *Reimbursement of airfare and/or accommodation for a family member to travel to the covered person’s place of hospital confinement. This benefit requires an expected hospital stay in excess of three days.
Find answers to common questions about health insurance coverage on our Frequently Asked Questions webpage.