Skip to main content

Victim of Crime Abroad

 If you are a victim of a crime abroad, know that Northwestern University is here to help. We can advise travelers on replacing lost or stolen documents, credit cards, photo identification, etc., as well as provide counseling resources to help victims manage any subsequent feelings of trauma.

 Travelers should contact their program director, trip leader, on-site staff and/or In an emergency after regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm Central Time), travelers can call NUPD’s 24/7 number at (847) 491-3456.

In addition, the U.S. Department of State (U.S. DOS) is also committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad. Consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and to help connect individuals with the local police. Travelers can find the consular office in their local area by visiting this directory of U.S.. embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions.

Replacing lost or stolen documents

To replace a U.S. passport lost or stolen abroad, American citizens must go to the nearest U.S.. Embassy or Consulate and apply in person.

Please note:

  • Passport matters are usually handled on specific hours; read the embassy or consulate website carefully.
  • Travelers will need to complete a document called a DS-11, provide a passport photo, and pay a replacement fee.

Contact the nearest U.S.. Embassy or Consulate for specific instructions, forms, and assistance.

Travelers of other nationalities should contact the nearest embassy or consulate of their citizenship for information about the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport. Most countries have Internet web sites with contact information.

Filing police reports abroad

A victim of crime abroad is encouraged to report the crime to the local police and obtain a copy of the police report. It’s helpful for local authorities to know when and where crimes happen to foreigners so that they can improve their efforts to servile, detect and capture criminals. Also, such information can be used to warn future travelers about criminals’ tactics or targets.

However, in some locations, incidents that are considered crimes in the U.S.. might not be considered crimes abroad. Also, in certain countries, travelers may not find local authorities very understanding or sympathetic to victims. If unsure, contact Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS) or a trusted on-site individual for advice.

If valuable items were stolen, such as a laptop or other expensive electronic devices, a copy of a police report will be required by your property insurance carrier should you wish to file a claim.

Special information is available for travelers who experience sexual misconduct abroad.

Embassy/consular notification

As a member of the Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC), which is a division of the U.S. DOS Bureau of Diplomatic Security, OGSS would like to report incidents of crime to the local embassy or consulate so that the U.S.. DOS can maintain up-to-date statistics on incidents involving its citizens abroad. Such notifications do NOT require the submission of personally identifiable information, only a description of the crime, time, location and any other relevant details. If a Northwestern traveler reports a crime abroad, OGSS will inquire about whether or not we can report the incident to OSAC.