The specific goals of the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS) include:
- Serve as the 24/7 first responder to all university-sponsored international travelers (students, faculty and staff) experiencing an emergency abroad, including the coordination of medical or security/natural disaster evacuations;
- Offer security information and support services for travel to higher-risk locations, including risk analysis, exit strategy planning and specialized traveler training;
- Assure compliance with undergraduate international travel requirements (study abroad as well as non-study abroad/non-credit travel for individuals and groups) including adherence to the Undergraduate Travel Policy, which governs undergraduate travel to locations under U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings or CDC Travel Health Notices Warning Level 3 (Avoid Nonessential Travel).
- Assist in the development of new study abroad programs and non-credit programs/trips with health, safety and security in mind;
- Provide/develop educational programming and materials related to travel health, safety and security; and
- Coordinate services provided by Northwestern’s international insurance and assistance providers, such as Geoblue Global (medical), Drum Cussac (evacuation), and ISOS (security information).