The specific goals of the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS) include:
- Serve as the 24/7 first responder to all university-sponsored international travelers (students, faculty and staff) experiencing an emergency abroad, including the coordination of medical or security/natural disaster evacuations;
- Offer security information and support services for travel to higher-risk locations, including risk analysis, exit strategy planning and specialized traveler training;
- Assure compliance with undergraduate international travel requirements (study abroad as well as non-study abroad/non-credit travel for individuals and groups) including adherence to the Undergraduate Travel Policy, which governs undergraduate travel to locations under U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories Level 3 or 4 or CDC Travel Health Notices Warning Level 3 (Avoid Nonessential Travel).
- Assist in the development of new study abroad programs and non-credit programs/trips with health, safety and security in mind;
- Provide/develop educational programming and materials related to travel health, safety and security; and
- Coordinate services provided by Northwestern’s international insurance and assistance providers, such as Geoblue Global (medical) and Drum Cussac (security information and evacuation).