If the traveler has been a victim of a crime, harassment, discrimination, terrorism, natural disaster, etc., there is help available from Northwestern.
- Students studying abroad should notify their program/resident director.
- If there is no on-site staff associated with the program or the victim is traveling independent of a group, call Northwestern University Police 24/7 at 1 (847) 491-3456. The duty officer will locate the Director of Global Safety and Security (or her back-up), who will return the call.
Another option for American citizens is to contact the U.S. Department of State’s (U.S. DOS) American Citizen Services, who are prepared to assist with emergencies abroad.
- Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or visit the U.S. DOS emergency abroad webpage to locate the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and to read more emergency information.
- From overseas, call 1 (202) 501-4444
- From the U.S. and Canada, call 1 (888) 407-4747