Skip to main content

Defining Non-credit/Non-study Abroad Travel

Non-credit undergraduate travel is considered Northwestern-sponsored if it meets at least one of the following criteria:

  • funded, in full or in part, by Northwestern and regardless of purpose (conference, research, field studies, performance, competition, service learning, etc.);
  • undertaken by a Registered Student Organization (RSO) representing Northwestern University or otherwise using the name or branded as associated with “Northwestern University”;
  • actively arranged or advised by Northwestern faculty or staff (examples include: signing off on university documents or agreements associated with the travel, accessing funds from a Student Organization Finance Office (SOFO) account; arranging overseas housing; facilitating Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval, etc.);
  • accompanied by a Northwestern faculty or staff member in the capacity of his/her employment.