Train Participants in the Process
Responsible party: Established by Hiring manager & Search chair, executed by search committee and stakeholders who will interact with candidates throughout the process
- Hiring manager completes myHR Staff eRecruit training
- Search chair reads and understands Diverse Candidate Slates in Recruitment and Selection at Northwestern policy
- Share Interview Best Practices for Panel Members with all search committee members who will be conducting interviews.
- Hiring manager ensures all participants, including hiring manager and people from other divisions, complete training: Diverse Candidates Slates in Recruitment and Selection at Northwestern.
- Recommended: all participants complete additional training. Search chair collects certificates of completion and facilitates conversation. Examples:
- Recommended: Review ACPA/NASPA Competencies for Organizational and Human Resources and Social Justice and Inclusion.
- Starting in the first meeting, set expectations for committee:
- Review job must-haves and evaluation criteria to keep the group focused
- State expectations about confidentiality and integrity
- Set ground rules for meetings (e.g.: no interrupting).
- Discuss learning from the trainings and barriers in hiring, such as personal identifiers, credentials, experiences, styles, writing, and valued skills
- At subsequent meetings, prime the group to be inclusive by reading and reflecting on guiding principles about your personal and group commitment to inclusion and reduction of bias.