Overview: Hiring in Student Affairs
Student Affairs provides the following recruitment and hiring guidance to foster racially just hiring practices within the division. While hiring is just one part of the employment lifecycle, racially just hiring practices are vital to selecting diverse staff who can promote the division’s vision of building just, healthy, and meaningful student learning experiences. Hiring is a critical juncture in living out our division’s strategic themes of:
- Championing Holistic Well-being: We advocate for and cultivate healthy conditions, with cultural humility and cultural responsiveness, in which all community members can thrive.
- Fostering Meaningful Student Engagement: We create intentional opportunities and conditions for purposeful student growth.
- Investing in Organizational Development: We commit time and effort, along with human and fiscal resources, to nurture a thriving division.
- Pursuing Equity, Justice, and Belonging: We work toward collective liberation through acknowledgment, accountability, and sustainable change that honors the dignity of all.
- Pursue equity, justice, and belonging in our work and for the division related to hiring.
- Address systemic issues of racism as related to the hiring practices in Student Affairs.
- Increase the diversity of candidates in our hiring pools in alignment with the University.
- Hire the best professionals in our field to serve our student populations.
- Learn from our history and from each other to develop professionally in our work related to racial justice and human resources work.
Student Affairs uses a Hiring Checklist to incorporate an equity lens while guiding managers through and providing resources for each step of the hiring process. If you are a Student Affairs hiring manager who will be filling a vacant position, click below to request a Hiring Checklist link from SAHR that is specific to your vacancy. Be sure your checklist is up to date before posting the job and before making an offer to your finalist. For a PDF sample of the checklist (not editable), click here.