Select Hiring Chair, Committee & Interviewers
Responsible party: Hiring manager
- Nonexempt role:
- Optionally, assemble a hiring committee.
- Include appropriate stakeholders in the interview process.
- Exempt roles:
- Identify a chair for the hiring committee who is familiar with the role, has time, and is committed to leading an equitable process.
- Name a search committee and provide a rationale for who is included/not included. Search committees typically:
- Include stakeholders who regularly interact with the role
- Have 2-3 to 8-10 members, balancing the need for diverse input with the need to manage staff time commitments to avoid fatigue
- Do not include the final decision maker (usually the hiring manger)
- Invite a racially diverse group of staff to join the committee/interview process. Recognize that staff with marginalized identities may be overtaxed and that some may decline. Consider an open call for staff interested in the opportunity. Also, consider partners outside of Student Affairs.
- Determine and communicate roles for committee members (e.g., interview panelist, resume reviewer, non-evaluative meet-and-greet-er). Think innovatively about role opportunities to maximize participation while considering time commitment.
- For any participants outside the division, provide SA-specific information about our commitments and process and hold them accountable.
- Name administrative support for the search. Support could include scheduling, communications, hospitality, and any needed accommodations.
- Design selection phases, create a timeline, and write a first meeting agenda.