Recruit, Advertise, Market
Responsible party: Human Resources, hiring manager, search chair & committee, stakeholders
- Collaborate with Talent Acquisition to understand racial/ethnic representation in job groups across the university, align on must-haves for the role, and collaborate on an advertising strategy.
- Agree on external advertising plan and secure funding.
- Focus on reaching candidates from diverse backgrounds, rather than expecting candidates to find us.
- Ask the committee for job posting ideas.
- See these Resources for Places to Post Position Openings
- Post the opening at NU locations, such as the Student Affairs Snapshot, affinity groups, and internal newsletters (see resources link above).
- Include selling points for working in Student Affairs.
- Include a statement in the job advertisements about Student Affairs values related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Examples:
- “By pursuing justice, equity, and belonging, Student Affairs cultivates student programs, services, and skills; disrupts barriers; and partners across Northwestern and neighboring communities to create an inclusive culture in which all students can thrive.”
- "Student Affairs at Northwestern University envisions building a just, health, and meaningful student learning experiences by pursuing equity, justice, and belonging. This work happens with all of us as people holding multiple identities. Through the frame of collective impact, we strive to center the voices, experiences, and needs of our most marginalized communities. This calls for both individual and collective responsibility and work that supports universally designed solutions that benefit not just individuals, but the full community."
- or See language provided on the Student Affairs Strategic Plan website for inspiration.
- Post the opening using social media accounts, such as personal LinkedIn pages. A sample post on LinkedIn might read like this one: “I’m excited to announce that I have an opening within my office for an Associate Director of Fraternity & Sorority Life. If you’re interested in an opportunity to help shape the development of this community within a supportive institution, take a look. #hiring #fraternity #sorority #NorthwesternUniversity #StudentAffairs #HigherEd"
- Communicate regularly with talent acquisition about the candidate pool, adjusting advertising strategy as needed. See Talent Acquisition’s Service Level Agreement (PDF).