Skip to main content

Getting Started: New Faculty Onboarding Checklist

Your school and/or department administrators will work with you to ensure that you are settled on campus quickly.

Creating a Human Resources Record

Your first step on campus should be to complete the steps necessary to establish your record on myHR (formerly known as FASIS), the Human Resources database system. a). You must first complete Section 1 of the I-9 employment eligibility form online. Then complete the following documents: 1) a Personal Data Form with your demographic information; 2) your Federal W-4  and State W-4 tax forms; and 3) your Direct Deposit Form if you would like your paychecks electronically deposited into your account(s).  Your department will submit these forms, along with a Position/Appointment Form, to the Payroll Office. 

Completing the Employment Eligibility Form (I-9)

To comply with Federal law, Northwestern University participates in E-Verify. All newly hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify their identity and employment eligibility. No later than the first day you will start being paid on Northwestern University’s payroll system, you must complete the Employment Eligibility Form I-9. This can be completed from any computer. By no later than the end of the third day you must complete Section 2 of the I-9. This can be completed in your department or the Payroll Office. Learn more. 

If you will not be on campus on or before your first day of pay, then you must go through the remote agent verification process. Full instructions can be found on the Remote Hire Quick Sheet.  

Obtaining Your WildCARD

Once your myHR record is established you may obtain your campus WildCARD, the official Northwestern photo identification card. This campus ID card can be used to gain entrance to University facilities and events; use the university shuttle service; check out library materials and much more. Additionally, U.S. Bank checking account holders can use their WildCARD as their ATM/debit card. Spouses or domestic partners of faculty can obtain a campus WildCARD for a nominal fee of $15. Learn more.

Many area businesses offer discounts to card holders through the WildCARD Advantage Program. Discounts and services vary. Learn more.

Setting Up Your NetID and E-Mail

Once your record is established in myHR, a NetID (Network Identifier) will be assigned to you. Your NetID is your electronic identity at Northwestern. Many networked University resources are associated with it, including e-mail and the online university directory. When your NetID has been created, you will be notified and will receive instructions about how to activate it. You can activate your NetID from your own computer up to 90 days before your official start date. Once your NetID is activated, you can instantly access your University e-mail within Northwestern’s Outlook Web Application, which requires no setup and is a secure and easy way to check your e-mail from anywhere.

Benefits Enrollment

Participation in the University’s benefits plans requires that a new faculty member complete the enrollment process within 31 days of hire or benefits eligibility. Thus, a faculty member with an appointment beginning September 1 must complete the enrollment process no later than October 1. Learn more.

Information on your benefit options, a step-by-step guide on how to complete the online enrollment process, and contact information for the Human Resources Benefits division, is contained in the Faculty Benefits presentation. This video was made specifically for faculty. Learn more.

University Directory, Address and Name Changes

The University's online directory provides contact information for all Northwestern students, faculty and staff.  The directory will display the job title, department name, office address, phone numbers, and e-mail address for every faculty member. Each faculty member may also opt to include their home address and telephone number as well as the name of a spouse/partner. Faculty holding multiple appointments can elect to list multiple departments and one location for campus mail deliveries. 

Faculty members should update their directory information through the myHR portal. Once you have established an e-mail account, you should check your own data, as the directory is one of the principal tools your colleagues and students will use to contact you. Sign in using your NetID and password and click on the tab called “Personal Details”.

It is important that you maintain current records with Human Resources. Your W-2 form will be mailed to your campus address on file. Please note: in the event of an emergency or disaster on campus, we will call, text and/or send e-mail notifications to the phone number(s) and e-mail address(es) in the system (not that of your emergency contact). The emergency contact number you list will be used for contacting a close relative/friend in the event of a personal emergency. Lastly, if your professional or published name differs from your legal name, please be sure that HR also has a record of your professional/published name. All of this information can be changed through the “Personal Details” tab within the myHR portal. Some changes, such as to your academic rank, department title, etc. must be made by your school authorities; please contact your department chair to request changes to this information.