Faculty Pandemic Impact Response Workgroup
The Faculty Pandemic Impact Response Workgroup was convened in March 2021 by Provost Kathleen Hagerty to understand the impacts of COVID-19 on faculty and to recommend strategies to mitigate the impacts and disruption of the pandemic. The workgroup built on the COVID-19 Tactical Response Team’s work completed in December 2020. The workgroup also sought to address in concrete ways the concerns and input received from the Organization of Women Faculty (OWF) in Fall Quarter 2020.
In May 2021, the Faculty Pandemic Impact Response Workgroup conducted a survey and focus groups to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on faculty and resources for mitigating disruptions. The workgroup was charged with recommending creative and forward-thinking strategies to support faculty as they continue to face challenges in how they do their work as educators, researchers, mentors, and creators. The workgroup will complete and publish its report in Fall 2021.
- To understand the impact of COVID-19 on faculty in general, with sufficient detail to appreciate the differential impact on faculty of different disciplines, appointment types, ranks, caregiving responsibilities, and gender.
- To review data and recommendations related to COVID-19 impacts on faculty.
- To evaluate steps taken for the long-term mitigation of the impact of COVID-19 by peer institutions.
- To recommend a set of actionable steps for individual faculty, departments/units, schools and the University for the long-term mitigation of the impact of COVID-19 with special consideration of career advancement, tenure and promotion.
- Sumit Dhar, Co-Chair; Associate Provost for Faculty, Office of the Provost; Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders, School of Communication
- Karen Smilowitz, Co-Chair; Professor, Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, McCormick and Operations, Kellogg
- Stephen Alltop, Senior Lecturer, Conducting and Ensembles, Bienen
- Lori Beaman, Associate Professor, Economics, Weinberg
- Mercedes Carnethon, Professor, Preventive Medicine and Medicine, Feinberg
- Heather Colburn, Professor of Instruction, Spanish, Weinberg
- Michelle Falkoff, Clinical Professor, Law
- Mitra Hartmann, Professor, Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, McCormick
- Matthew Johnson, Professor, Anthropology, Weinberg
- Marty Lariviere, Professor, Operations, Kellogg
- Elizabeth Norton, Assistant Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders, School of Communication
- Amit Prachand, Assistant Vice President, Information & Analytics, Institutional Research
- Vijay Viswanathan, Associate Professor, Integrated Marketing Communications, Medill
- Associate Provost for Faculty (APF) Team Members:
- Celina Flowers, Assistant Provost for Faculty, Office of the Provost
- Alex Rot, Senior Director, Faculty Operations, Office of the Provost
- Joan Marie Johnson, Director, Faculty, Office of the Provost
- Lorraine Cassis, Executive Assistant, Office of the Provost
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the workgroup at email@example.com.