Nomination and Selection Process
Faculty members in at least their fifth year of teaching at Northwestern at the time of nomination are nominated for a University Teaching Award by the deans of the schools or colleges in which they have their principal appointments. The nominations are reviewed by the University Teaching Awards Selection Committee, which is chaired by the Provost and made up of senior faculty members, university administrators, and a student representative. The selection committee submits its recommendations to the President.
Selection committee members will review the nominations on Box.
Nomination materials should be submitted in two PDF files. For further details on these requirements, please refer to the List of Required Nomination Materials.
The first pdf file should contain the items listed below in the following order:
- Cover page;
- A letter of nomination from the school dean or the departmental chair;
- A statement from the nominee setting forth his or her goals as a teacher and assessment of success in meeting those goals;
- Letters from no more than four currently enrolled undergraduate students and no more than two students who have graduated but who studied under the nominee as undergraduates describing the ways in which the nominee's teaching has significantly facilitated student learning;
- A list of all courses taught from winter 2017 through fall 2019 along with a table that includes summary data from CTEC's for each courses listed. You can download the table template here.
- Abbreviated current CV of nominee of no more than six pages
The second pdf file should contain the items listed below in the following order:
- Syllabi from all course taught from winter 2017 through fall 2019.
- Instructor CTECs from all courses taught from winter 2017 through fall 2019.
The 2020 University Teaching Awards nominations are now open and due Friday, February 28.
The University Teaching Awards are administered by the Office of the Provost. For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.