Resources for Pandemic Impact and Recovery
Northwestern is developing strategies to mitigate challenges that were created or exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic and to support faculty members in their research and creative work, teaching, service and well-being.
The Faculty Pandemic Impact Response Workgroup identified five broad themes for support in its Fall 2021 report:
- Career recovery (research, teaching, and evaluation and promotion)
- Health and Well-being
- Institutional response
This webpage gathers information about University resources available to assist faculty with continuing short-term and long-term mitigation and recovery. Faculty members who need assistance determining eligibility, finding additional resources or getting questions answered are encouraged to email email@example.com.
Health and Well-being
- Faculty Wellness Week: A variety of in-person and remote options for physical and mental health, including access to Henry Crown Sports Pavilion, offered free of charge.
- Faculty Well-being Resources: Information on consultation and counseling, faculty well-being programming, access to virtual meditation, yoga, and exercise classes, and other resources.
- Faculty Wellness Program: Contact Faculty Wellness Program Director Gaurava Agarwal, MD, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portable Caregiving Grant: New grants of up to $1,500 to help mitigate costs of caregiving to eligible faculty and staff for in-home care, home-based centers or centers other than partner centers.
- Center-based fee assistance: Fee assistance for select partner childcare centers for eligible faculty and staff has been expanded to include part-time enrollment.
- Backup Care: Provides short-term care when regular childcare or eldercare falls through. Access to a subsidized rate has been extended to up to 10 days per year for all benefits-eligible faculty.
- Sitters and Tutors Network: Provides a new online site to find student-provided sitting and tutoring services for the Northwestern community.
- Northwestern Working Parents Network: Join this group to connect and share and to be informed of all resources and events for families and parents.
- Northwestern is evaluating its options regarding pandemic impacts in evaluation and promotion.
- Some schools have made changes to instructional and clinical faculty workloads.
- The Associate Provost for Faculty team is reviewing peer institution pandemic responses and evaluating best practices.
- Office of the Ombudsperson: Sarah Klaper was appointed the first University ombudsperson in August 2021.
Questions?If you are not sure of your eligibility, are searching for other resources to meet your needs, or have additional questions, please email email@example.com.