Please review the Faculty Work/Life and Family Resources brochure for information on work/life-related policies, relocation resources, family support programs and benefits, and personal well-being assistance.
A Message from the Provost
Resources for Taking Care of Your Family
Visit the Human Resources website for more information on Northwestern's work/life benefits for faculty, including:
- Childcare resources, referral service, and links to local centers, schools and summer camps
- A Portable Caregiving Grant and Childcare Fee Assistance for four community childcare centers
- Subsidized childcare backup care through Care.com to help you find vetted in-home or center-based backup care providers, when regular care falls through
- Cariloop, a comprehensive caregiving facilitator that pairs licensed and certified healthcare coaches with clients to assist with finding the caregiving resources they need to manage care transitions and life events
- The online Sitters and Tutors Network to locate and arrange for services provided by Northwestern students
- Access to senior care resources, including on-site caregiver support and subsidized back-up care
- Adoption assistance for reimbursement of qualified adoption-related expenses
- Higher education tuition benefits for dependent children and spouses/civil union partners
- Lactation support, including lactation rooms across campus
Employment Assistance for Faculty Spouses/Partners
Northwestern partners with the Greater Chicago Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GC HERC), which includes other area educational institutions such as the University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Argonne, and Fermilab, to support dual-career couples. GC HERC contains a web-based search engine that includes listings for both faculty and staff jobs at all member institutions and is available at no charge to anyone seeking employment in higher education. The search engine allows users to link two profiles and find jobs that match both search criteria.
Northwestern Career Advancement invites all faculty and their spouses/partners to attend any career-related events and programs on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses. In addition, spouses and partners can contact NCA for a consultation appointment with the Executive Director. Please have your academic department office email Mark Presnell, the Executive Director of Northwestern Career Advancement, to request arrangements on your behalf.
Dependent Care Professional Travel Grant
The Dependent and Elder Care Travel Grant offers funds to cover your dependent care costs incurred during short-term travel to attend meetings, conferences, or other professional development opportunities.
Childbearing, adoption and childrearing leave policies vary according to one's faculty category. Find the policy that pertains to you.
Family Caregiving Resource
The Office of Human Resources and the Office of the Provost are pleased to offer Northwestern’s faculty a new resource for their family caregiving needs. Cariloop is a comprehensive caregiving facilitator that pairs licensed and certified healthcare coaches with clients to assist with finding the caregiving resources they need to manage care transitions and life events.Read more about Cariloop