Faculty Honors and Awards
Northwestern’s close to 8,000 faculty members are leaders in their fields. They are Nobel Prize laureates, Tony Award winners, Guggenheim Fellows, and MacArthur Fellows. They continually push the boundaries of knowledge, explore new possibilities, and lead the world in their discoveries and accomplishments. Faculty are dedicated teachers, committed to excellence and innovation in the classroom. Faculty leaders support excellence at Northwestern through outstanding service and are essential to the University’s mission and values.
The Office of the Provost administers a number of awards to recognize and celebrate the achievements of our faculty members in research, teaching, service and effort promoting a diverse and equitable campus.
Excellence in Scholarship, Research and Creative Work
- The Ver Steeg Fellowship recognizes tenured faculty whose research and scholarship enhance the reputation of Northwestern, both nationally and internationally.
- The Walder Award is annually awarded to a faculty member in any school or discipline for excellence in research.
Excellence in Teaching
- The University Teaching Awards annually recognize and celebrate individual faculty members who have consistently demonstrated outstanding performance in classroom teaching, or who have developed significant innovations that have also influenced the methods and teaching effectiveness of other faculty.
- The Alumnae Award for Curriculum Innovation supports faculty work over the summer to develop innovative course materials, new courses, or new modes of teaching, including online education that will benefit our undergraduate students.
Excellence in Service
- The Provost Award for Exemplary Faculty Service recognizes faculty for outstanding service to the Northwestern community and significant contributions to their unit and/or to the University.
Excellence in Diversity and Equity
- The Daniel I. Linzer Award for Excellence in Diversity and Equity recognizes faculty individuals or groups who are working collaboratively to build a more diverse, inclusive and equitable climate at Northwestern University.
Other Funding Opportunities
The Office of the Provost provides funding opportunities for research and creative work, as well as innovation in teaching. In addition, the Office of the Provost supports faculty professional development through travel grants and support for lectures and conferences.Funding Opportunities