Security Information Resources
In addition to speaking with staff in the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS), Northwestern University offers to options to review travel safety and security information as well as receive informational alerts produced by third parties.
The U.S. Department of State (U.S. DOS)
Travelers can also signup for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. DOS to those who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. All Northwestern travelers should enroll in STEP (some students are required as a condition of their program or experience).
- Follow directions on the STEP website to “create an account” and then “add a trip” to your profile. This is a two-step process. Enrolling in STEP allows the United States government to act quickly in concert with other governments if you go missing or are a victim of a serious crime.
- By providing your email address, you will also be added to a consular listserv to receive local security updates related to road closures, transportation strikes, civil unrest, and more
AlertTraveler (AT) is a subscription service available to students and trip leaders who register trips in the Northwestern International Travel Registry. Travelers can access for free (message and data rates may apply) by downloading the AlertTraveler app for iOS and Android devices. AT utilizes GPS and itineraries stored in the Travel Registry to provide travelers with country and city intelligence, safety and security alerts, and an instant check-in option. Check-in requests will only be issued during a serious emergency; students may also respond to the check-in requests by email or phone. AT will stop sending messages shortly after a traveler's return.
Northwestern has contracted with Crisis24, a security information and assistance firm with global support centers in Europe, the Middle East, South Africa, and the United States. Create an account with Crisis24 to access timely security information resources and sign-up for country-specific alerts.
- Go to http://crisis24horizon.com
- Enter your Northwestern e-mail address and select “create account.”
- Enter your First and Last Name in the appropriate fields and select “next.”
- Check your in-box for an email titled, “Welcome to Crisis24 Horizon activation email” from firstname.lastname@example.org. This link expires after 24 hours.
- Complete the registration process (Set password, chose language preferences, etc.). Select “next.”
After communicating with OGSS staff, Northwestern travelers who wish to have an additional perspective on a travel health or security concern can also email the Global Support team at email@example.com. Copy OGSS at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure the best service. Be sure to confirm your affiliation with Northwestern University and provide as much detail as possible about planned travel.