Permit Eligibility Criteria
Parking permits are available to faculty, staff and students who meet the following criteria:
- Live outside of the designated boundaries of the Chicago campus (if you are interested in a 24-hour commuter permit)
- Do not have any unpaid (or non-appealed) University parking violations
- Have departmental approval for parking privileges through their department or school's space allocation
- For faculty and staff: Have at least 50% of their salary paid by Northwestern University
- Work a minimum of 20 hours/week to be eligible for commuter parking
The Chicago campus boundaries are defined as:
- South of North Ave.
- East of Halsted St.
- North of Congress Pkwy.
Any person living within the campus boundaries of the University will not be eligible for a commuter permit. Living right on North Ave., Halsted St. or Congress Pkwy. does not necessarily establish eligibility.
Local addresses are secured from your official university records. Human Resources submits faculty and staff addresses and each school's Student Services office submits student addresses. If your address information is outdated or incorrect, it is your responsibility to have this corrected. Permits will not be issued until this information is current.
Proof of residency may be requested.
- A parking permit is not transferable to another individual.
- A parking permit does not imply or guarantee a specific parking space or lot assignment.
- Falsification of any information for the purpose of obtaining a parking permit or repeated violations of rules and regulations may result in the forfeiture of all parking permits, fees, and eligibility for any subsidized parking rates.
- The University assumes no responsibility or liability for any damages caused by fire, theft, casualty, or any other cause whatsoever with respect to any car or its contents, in the areas subject to the University's jurisdiction.