SAW Graduate Assistant Application
What is the SAW Graduate Assistant
The SAW Graduate Assistant (GA) will work in partnership with the Co-Director of SAW to support the SAW Counselor and participant experience. The GA will also serve as the Resident Director during the Summer 2023 Program. They will move into the residence hall SAW participants will be housed at the start of SAW Counselor training. During this time the GA will be responsible for the management of the SAW residential experience.
A successful GA is passionate about the transition of first generation and lower income students to university. They are interested in the leadership development of students and developing community and sense of belonging among students. This position also ask the GA for flexibility, as work hours will include evening and weekends. Finally, in this position you will utilize conflict resolution skills, understanding of diversity and social justice, and the GA will need to be willing to respond to emergency situations.
- Supervise six SAW Counselor throughout the entire summer program
- Contribute to the planning and execution of SAW Counselor training
- Evaluate the SAW Counselors performance at the end of the program
- Serve as a mentor and resource to SAW Counselors
- Live in the residential hall during the duration of the program
- Organize and manage the Counselor’s daily duty rotation
- Lead and facilitate the orientation to residential experience
- Mediate conflicts that may arise between counselors and SAW participants or between SAW participants and other summer bridge participants housed in the residence hall
- Attend and support evening and weekend programs planned by the Counselors’
- Serve as a liaison between SAW participants, Counselors, and SES staff as necessary.
- Respond to emergency situations and be on call throughout the duration of the program
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- The SAW Counselor position begins Monday, July 24th and ends on September 18, 2023.
- First day: Monday, July 24th
- GA will determine hours with supervisor once started. The GA should expect to work 15-20 hours until the start of SAW Counselor Training.
- SAW Counselor Training: Monday, August 14- Saturday, August 19
- SAW 2023: Sunday, August 20- Sunday, September 10
- Candidates must be enrolled in or have graduated from a Master’s degree program in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a related field
- Preference will be given to candidates with substantial experience in residence life, extensive involvement in multicultural affairs, program planning experience, and a commitment to leadership development
The SAW GA will be paid hourly at a $22 rate. The SAW GA can expect to work up to 20 hours a week before the start of SAW. During SAW hours may increase due to on call expectations.
Apply to be a SAW Graduate Assistant
The priority deadline to submit a resume and cover letter is May 1, 2023. To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to SES Associate Director, Mayra Garces, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or more information about the SAW Graduate Assistant position, please email Associate Director of SES, Mayra Garces, email@example.com