Fighting Xenophobia and Anti-Asian Racism
Disturbed by the rise in xenophobia and anti-Asian racism during this global health crisis, we at CAPS stand in solidarity with all members of our community who experience marginalization and threat, based on their identity, ethnicity, and physical appearance. We condemn any form of prejudice, stigmatization, or racism.
We are reminded of the ongoing history that race-based discrimination has been employed to distract and divide our communities, in order to protect systematic inequality. We at CAPS are committed to providing confidential support for all students on their journey towards pride, empowerment, resilience, and community building. We call upon everyone, especially those who hold unearned power and privilege, to take up the responsibility to fight against systemic racism and oppression.
Coping with Xenophobia and Anti-Asian Racism
- The University of Illinois has strategies and tips for coping with racism-related stress.
- Medium published an article entitled Surviving Racism Amidst Covid-19.
- Racial Equity Tools created a resource page for coping with and advocacy for anti-Asian racism: COVID-19-Racial Equity and Social Justice Resources.
- Self-Care Tips for Asian Americans Dealing with Racism amid Coronavirus
Reporting Xenophobia and Anti-Asian Racism
- If you observe or experience discrimination on and around campus, please consider submitting a report to the University for further investigation.
- Asian Americans Advocating for Justice guide to document and address anti-Asian racism.
Fighting Anti-Asian Racism and Social Justice Advocacy
- The People's Collective for Justice & Liberation provides helpful historic background and strategies on building alliances across racial groups as well as Redefining Safety and Security in the time of Coronavirus/COVID-19: (townhall recordings): Race, Struggle and Solidarity in the Time of A Global Pandemic.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has guidance around how communicators and public health officials can help counter stigma.
- American Psychological Association statements to destigmatize the virus and how to combat bias.
- Tips for how educators can counter coronavirus stigma and racism from the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
- Teaching Tolerance article on how to respond to coronavirus racism.
- Iowa State University's guide to learning more about and interrupting coronavirus racism.
- Asian Pacific American Labor Association statement on how to fight racial discrimination against Asian American and Pacific Islander workers.
- Message from the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on national origin and race discrimination during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Combating APPI Hate in Age of COVID-19