CAPS provides students assistance in connecting to therapists, psychiatrists, providers who conduct neuropsychological testing/ADHD evaluations, and other resources in the community. We make every effort to provide tailored recommendations based on students’ preferences and clinical needs.
If you require CAPS assistance in finding an off-campus referral please schedule a Referral and Resource Appointment.
Common Reasons for Referrals
Referrals may be provided for the following reasons:
- Longer-term therapy
- Specialized care
- Higher level of care (more intensive treatment)
- Some medication management needs
- Neuropsychological testing/ADHD testing
- Limited student availability during CAPS business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM) or preference for evening or weekend hours
- Preference for working with a therapist with particular identities or areas of expertise
- Preference for connecting more rapidly to care in the community
- Upcoming graduation and would benefit from ongoing care
- Ineligible for therapy services at CAPS
Learning About Your Insurance Coverage
- If you are considering connecting to an off-campus provider, you can learn more about determining your insurance coverage for mental health services.
- To learn more information about the Northwestern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP), click here.
Finding a Provider
You can search the CAPS Provider Referral List to search for an off-campus provider near our Evanston and Chicago campus communities.
Other local and national resources for finding a provider include the following (Note: This is not an endorsement or recommendation of listed providers on these sites)
- Psychology Today’s Find a Therapist (A resource to help find mental health treatment providers across the U.S. and internationally.)
- Inclusive Therapists with a directory of therapists offering reduced-fee teletherapy (Website that centers the needs of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQIA2S+ community, the full neurodiversity spectrum, and people with disabilities/ disabled people)
- Asian Mental Health Collective: Asian, Pacific Islander, and South Asian American (APISAA) Therapist Directory
- Community of Asian American Therapists in Chicagoland
- Black Virtual Provider Network
- Therapy for Black Girls (Information on mental health topics and treatment providers for Black women)
- Sista Ayafa Community Mental Wellness (Chicago-area organization providing sliding-scale rates for mental health treatment for Black women)
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network (NQTTCN)
- Therapy for Queer People of Color