CAPS provides students assistance in connecting to therapists, psychiatrists, providers who conduct neuropsychological testing/ADHD evaluations, and other resources in the community. We make every effort to provide tailored recommendations based on students’ preferences and clinical needs.
If you require CAPS assistance in finding an off-campus referral, please follow the next steps based on which campus you take classes on:
- Evanston students can call the CAPS mainline number at 847-491-2151 to schedule a Care Coordination appointment.
- Chicago students can click here to schedule a Care Coordination appointment.
Common Reasons for Referrals
Referrals may be provided for the following reasons:
- A need for specialized or more intensive care.
- Other mental health providers or resources are a better fit for a student's needs, such as if a student is looking for a therapist who holds particular identities or areas of expertise.
- The student is graduating or otherwise leaving the area soon and would benefit from being connected to a provider in the community.
- The student is looking for extensive neuropsychological testing.
- The student would benefit from open-ended rather than structured support and/or more frequent and/or flexible appointments.
- The student has limited availability during CAPS business hours or preference for evening or weekend appointments.
- The student may secure an appointment in the community more quickly, and this is important to them.
Learning About Your Insurance Coverage
- If you are considering connecting to an off-campus provider, click here to learn more about determining your insurance coverage for mental health services.
- To learn more information about the Northwestern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP), click here.
Finding a Provider
You can search the CAPS Provider Referral List to search for an off-campus provider near our Evanston and Chicago campus communities.
Other local and national resources for finding a provider include the following (Note: This is not an endorsement or recommendation of listed providers on these sites)
- Psychology Today’s Find a Therapist (A resource to help find mental health treatment providers across the U.S. and internationally.)
- Inclusive Therapists with a directory of therapists offering reduced-fee teletherapy (Website that centers the needs of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQIA2S+ community, the full neurodiversity spectrum, and people with disabilities/ disabled people)
- Innopsych (a large directory for therapists of color)
- Clinicians of Color Directory
- Community of Asian American Therapists in Chicagoland
- Asian Mental Health Collective
- Black Virtual Provider Network
- Therapy for Black Girls (Information on mental health topics and treatment providers for Black women)
- Therapy for Black Men
- Sista Ayafa Community Mental Wellness (Chicago-area organization providing sliding-scale rates for mental health treatment for Black women)
- Latinx Therapy
- Therapy for Latinx
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network (NQTTCN)
- Therapy for Queer People of Color