CAPS has three psychiatrists on staff who see students on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses. They provide a wide range of services including assessments, evaluations, and medication consultation. Students are only eligible for psychiatric services when they are in ongoing counseling at CAPS. Medication management without ongoing counseling at CAPS is not offered by CAPS psychiatrists.
If you are in need of a local psychiatrist to provide medication management services only or in need of longer-term psychiatric services, CAPS staff will assist you with a referral to a community provider.
Medication Consultation and Management
- CAPS Psychiatrists do not offer medication management without concurrent therapy at CAPS.
- Students who are prescribed psychotropic medications by an outside provider need to transfer medication management services to the CAPS psychiatrist, ONLY if they are being seen at CAPS for individual therapy.
- Students who are seeing an off-campus provider for individual therapy will need to transfer their medication management services to a psychiatrist in the community.
- If you are in need of a local psychiatrist to provide medication management services only or you are in need of longer-term psychiatric services, CAPS staff will assist you with a referral to a community provider. You can also search our CAPS Provider Referral List to find a psychiatrist in the community.
- For students who are not established in individual therapy at CAPS, please be aware that CAPS psychiatrists are unable to provide bridge prescriptions.
CAPS Psychiatrists can conduct evaluations for depression and/or anxiety. To schedule an evaluation, students must first meet with a CAPS counselor either by scheduling an Initial Assessment or dropping in during CAPS Same Day Access hours. Please note that CAPS Psychiatrists do not conduct ADHD evaluations.
Brief Individual Psychotherapy
CAPS Psychiatrists offer brief individual psychotherapy, which consists of one-on-one meetings with a psychiatrist for about 45-50 minutes. To learn more about individual psychotherapy at CAPS, please click here.