Student Insurance Programs
The Office of Risk Management is a resource for Northwestern University students to identify and manage risks associated with their activities being performed on behalf of or at the direction of the University. Various types of coverage in the University’s liability program, including automobile liability, extend protection to eligible students. The Office of Risk Management, in collaboration with other units, sponsors a student health plan (NU-SHIP), administers a self-insurance program for film students, and offers an optional tuition refund program that supplements the existing University refund policy.
- Automobile Liability: The University maintains automobile liability insurance that covers the liability of any eligible student while driving or using owned or hired vehicles on authorized University business.
- Student Film Insurance: Northwestern University students required to shoot a film as part of required coursework often borrow equipment from vendors. Office of Risk Management provides students the ability to purchase coverage to insure against loss or damage to borrowed equipment.
- Student Health: Health insurance is a requirement for all degree seeking students at Northwestern University. The Student Health Insurance Office is able to assist students in making appropriate insurance selections for their health care needs.
- Global Health Insurance: Northwestern’s international medical assistance and insurance carrier is GeoBlue. GeoBlue is required for students participating in university-sponsored or supported travel abroad. For plan information, enrollment procedures and exceptions, go to GeoBlue for Students.
- Student Professional Liability: This insurance access program is designed and only eligible for current Northwestern University students performing professional/clinical work outside/independent of required school curriculum. Office of Risk Management will require a completed Student Professional Liability Application to underwrite and subject to approval, issue a policy/evidence of coverage.
- Tuition Refund: This insurance is available to all Northwestern undergraduate and graduate students on an optional basis. This is a private insurance program that supplements the University’s published refund policy.
For additional information, please contact Elizabeth Marshall Hammer, Director of Risk and Insurance, at 847.491.5084 or email@example.com.