Certificates from Others
When others are contractually required to provide the University with a certificate of insurance, a copy of the certificate should be sent to the relevant department and to the Office of Risk Management.
Third-Party Contractors and/or Vendors
All third-party contractors and/or vendors should have an ACORD form 25 completed by insurance broker or agent and have the following minimum insurance limits, unless approved in advance by the Office of Risk Management:
- Commercial General Liability: including bodily injury and property damage, $2,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 general aggregate
- Comprehensive Automobile Liability: including bodily injury and property damage, $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence with “any auto” selected
- Workers' Compensation coverage: in accordance with the workers’ compensation laws of the state of Illinois.
Commercial General Liability, Auto and any Umbrella/Excess Liability shall include the following provisions and endorsements:
- Additional Insured: All contractors/vendors shall name Northwestern University, its trustees, employees and agents as additional insured's as it pertains to the work done/service provided/product delivered to the University.
- Primary Coverage: Such insurance must be primary as to any other valid and collectible insurance.
- Cancellation Notice: 30 days prior written notice of cancellation or material change in the insurance must be given to the university.
- Contractual Liability: Certificate of insurance must contain a contractual liability endorsement stating that the policy is extended to cover the liability assumed by the insured under the terms of their contract with the university.
- Waiver of Subrogation: Contractor and Contractor’s insurance companies waive their rights to subrogation against the above named insured by endorsements
Frequently requested coverages by the University
The following are the most common requested by the University. Other lines of insurance coverage may be required for certain types of exposure and limits of liability may vary depending on the type of contract. For more specifics, please contact COI@northwestern.edu.
- Professional Liability: This insurance requirement applies when a contractor/vendor has a professional designation or license and/or is providing professional services. The minimum limit for architects and engineers is $3,000,000.
- Excess/Umbrella: This coverage typically sits above an underlying General Liability, Automobile Liability and Professional Liability policies. This policy may be required in order for the vendor to be able to meet the minimum insurance requirements.
- Cyber: This insurance requirement applies when a third party will be using, storing, or accessing private, confidential, or protected information. The minimum limit is $1,000,000 per occurrence/event.
- Environmental: This insurance requirement applies when a contractor/vendor will be performing environmental clean-up wok, working with hazardous substance or waste, or may have similar exposures while performing work under an agreement. The minimum limit is $1,000,000 per occurrence.
Please refer to this checklist as a resource for evaluating certificates received from third-parties.
Submit a Certificate
- The University Host is responsible for submitted COI's
- To access the form, select "Sign in with your company account". If the option does not appear, enter your university email address