Certificates from Others
All third-party contractors and vendors should have the following minimum insurance limits, unless approved in advance by the Office of Risk Management:
- Commercial General Liability: including bodily injury and property damage, $2,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 general aggregate
- Comprehensive Automobile Liability: including bodily injury and property damage, $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence with “any auto” selected
- Workers' Compensation coverage: in accordance with the workers’ compensation laws of the state of Illinois.
Commercial General Liability, Auto and any Umbrella/Excess Liability shall include the following provisions and endorsements:
- Additional Insured: All contractors/vendors shall name Northwestern University, its trustees, employees and agents as additional insured's as it pertains to the work done/service provided/product delivered to the University.
- Primary Coverage: Such insurance must be primary as to any other valid and collectible insurance.
- Cancellation Notice: 30 days prior written notice of cancellation or material change in the insurance must be given to the university.
- Contractual Liability: Certificate of insurance must contain a contractual liability endorsement stating that the policy is extended to cover the liability assumed by the insured under the terms of their contract with the university.
- Waiver of Subrogation: Contractor and Contractor’s insurance companies waive their rights to subrogation against the above named insured by endorsements
The following are the most frequently requested supplementary coverages by the University. Other lines of insurance coverage may be required for certain types of exposure and limits of liability may vary depending on the type of contract. For more specifics, please refer to the Insurance Matrix OR contact COI@northwestern.edu.
- Professional Liability: This insurance requirement applies when a contractor/vendor has a professional designation or license and/or is providing professional services. The minimum limit for architects and engineers is $3,000,000.
- Excess/Umbrella: This coverage typically sits above an underlying General Liability, Automobile Liability and Professional Liability policies. This policy may be required in order for the vendor to be able to meet the minimum insurance requirements.
- Cyber: This insurance requirement applies when a third party will be using, storing, or accessing private, confidential, or protected information. The minimum limit is $1,000,000 per occurrence/event.
- Environmental: This insurance requirement applies when a contractor/vendor will be performing environmental clean-up wok, working with hazardous substance or waste, or may have similar exposures while performing work under an agreement. The minimum limit is $1,000,000 per occurrence.
- Aircraft Liability: This insurance requirement applies when aircrafts (UAS) are being used. Operators must provide aircraft liability insurance coverage for both owned and non-owned aircrafts. The minimum limit is $3,000,000 per occurrence, subject to all other provisions herein.
The certificate should list Northwestern University as the certificate holder.
2020 Ridge , 4th Floor
Evanston, IL 60208-4335
Please refer to the resources below for determining insurance requirements and evaluating certificates received from third-parties.
Please note that you will be redirected to Smartsheet. For instructions on how to login to Smartsheet with your Northwestern email click here.UPLOAD a Certificate of Insurance
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!