Visiting Scholars who choose to waive out of the Visiting Scholars Plan must:
- Submit a waiver in the GBS Portal.
- Evidence and maintain health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the level of coverage required by Northwestern by providing a copy of their insurance policy to Gallagher Benefit Services (GBS) for approval. (If your policy is not written in English, you must provide an official translation for the insurance).
- Dependents may waive the VSP Plan by purchasing insurance that meets Department of State J-2 insurance requirements. These policies must also be approved by Gallagher Benefit Services (GBS).
Minimum Health Insurance Requirements
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Coverage for repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 (does not apply to B1 visa holders)
- Coverage for medical evacuation expenses in the amount of $50,000
- Deductible not to exceed $250 per accident or illness
- Out-of-pocket expenses not to exceed $2,000 per year
- Co-insurance provision not to exceed 20% (in-network) or 25% (out-of-network)
- Coverage for at least 80% of amount charged (in-network) or 75% of amount charged (out-of-network)
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient care for both sickness and accident
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions (no exclusions, no waiting period)
- Coverage for mental health
- Coverage for prescription drugs
- Coverage for pregnancy
- Policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the activities of the program in which the exchange visitor participates
For additional information, please contact Diane Sims at 888-441-3719 or at UniversityServices.GBS.NUVSBP@ajg.com.