- When you are driving a University-owned vehicle on business, you are covered under the University’s insurance program.
- All University drivers must agree to follow the provisions of the Safe Driver Program
- Accidental physical damage to University-owned vehicles is covered under the same program.
- Departments, individuals, or organizations are responsible for the deductible before the University’s insurance applies.
Renting a Vehicle on University Business
- Faculty and staff are encouraged to rent vehicles from National or Enterprise as insurance is included in the rental agreement at no additional cost to the traveler.
- Where possible, faculty and staff are encouraged to avoid using personal vehicles when traveling on business, and instead use the Vehicle Rental Program - offered through the Department of Procurement and Payment Services. When you drive your personal vehicle, your automobile insurance becomes primary to any insurance maintained by the University. The University is not responsible for any physical damage to your vehicle which may occur during University business.
- When renting a vehicle internationally, travelers should purchase a Collision Damage Waiver and the liability insurance offered by the rental company.
Report an incident
File Required Paperwork:
- 'Report the Incident' as soon as possible
- Any accident not reported to the Office of Risk Management will result in a $1,000 deductible charge, which will increase by $500 every day after the first 24 hours the accident is not completely reported. Please make sure that the telephone you call from will accept incoming calls.
- In the event of an accident, travelers, or their departments, are responsible for a $500 deductible and any additional fees (such as loss of use) that may apply.
Insurance Card Information:
- Insurance Company: RUBICON INSURANCE COMPANY
- Policy Term: [See vehicle documentation obtained at pick up]
- Policy Number: [See vehicle documentation obtained at pick up]
- Insured: Northwestern University, 633 Clark Street, Evanston, IL 60208-1120
- Office Issuing this Card: Office of Risk Management, Northwestern University, 2020 Ridge Avenue, Suite 240, Evanston, IL 60208-4335, Phone: (847) 491-4334
- Covered Vehicles: All Motor Pool Supplied Vehicles