Illinois law requires all Notaries to purchase and maintain a $5,000 Notary surety bond for the duration of their 4-year commission. The bond is NOT insurance. The Notary bond protects the public of Illinois against any financial loss due to improper conduct by an Illinois Notary.
The Office of Risk Management procures the required Surety Bond to Northwestern University employees seeking Notary Public status for University Business.
For your convenience, Risk Management will also process the Illinois state filing fee with your bond for $35. This fee is charged to the applicants department, using a chart string.
Prior to providing the surety bond and filing with the State of Illinois, The Office of Risk Management will review all Notary Public applications.
- Obtain an application from the Illinois Secretary of State website.
- Schedule time with a local Notary. The Notary application requires notarization.
- Complete the application using a black ink pen.
- The applicant's name and signature must be exactly the same. The Principal/Applicant must sign all applicable fields. The Secretary of State only accepts original, wet signatures.
- Mail the original completed application and a copy of the applicants valid Illinois Driver's License or State ID card to Juan-Carlos Perez in the Office of Risk Management.
- Include a chartstring for the required fees ($35).
It can take 2-3 weeks for initial processing and 4 to 8 weeks for the Secretary of State to process the Notary Public Application. To expedite the initial process, please email a copy of the application to Juan-Carlos Perez. Please include the chart string for payment in the email.
The County Clerk’s office, in the county where the applicant resides or is employed, will send a letter of receipt of their commission. The applicant must register their commission within 30 days of receiving confirmation from the County Clerk’s office.
For additional information, please contact Juan-Carlos Perez, Risk & Insurance Coordinator email@example.com.