COVID-19 Expectations for Students
The health and well-being of our community is Northwestern’s highest priority. As such, Northwestern has developed the following expectations for all students who are registered for classes or participate in any University program (even remotely). As a part of attesting to the Northwestern Student Handbook, enrolled students are also attesting to reading and understanding the following summary of expectations and complying with them.
Northwestern University may modify these expectations at any time as guidance from federal, state, and local governments and/or the University evolves. Substantive modifications will be communicated to students via email and other methods. As a reminder, in addition to the expectations set forth below, all students are expected to follow policies applicable to students, including those contained in the Student Handbook and your specific academic program.
- Regularly monitoring the University’s guidelines related to COVID-19 on the COVID-19 site and staying updated on any guidance provided by the University.
- Abiding by any safety or hygiene standards recommended by Northwestern, the Illinois Department of Public Health, local public health authorities, or the CDC, including standards regarding social distancing, limiting gatherings, hand washing and sanitizing, and cleaning shared surfaces.
- Wearing a mask or face covering when and where required by the University, unless a medical condition restricts the ability to do so. Using face covering that meet guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Northwestern’s guidance.
- Understanding that you may be asked to submit to COVID-19 testing and will comply with COVID-19 testing recommendations.
- Cooperating with any contact tracing efforts by the University.
- Performing and documenting any self-monitoring or self-screening of health symptoms that the University asks me to complete, including monitoring my personal health daily and reporting any conditions as required by the University.
- Participating in any additional health screening required by the University.
- Immediately reporting any exposure to COVID-19 to Northwestern University and not participating in in-person activities until cleared by the University.
- Following all applicable guidelines regarding self-isolation and quarantine, including the University’s guidelines on self-isolation and/or quarantining, and any government requirements in effect, including any travel-related requirements or restrictions.
- For Northwestern Qatar students only --Regular monitoring the guidelines related to COVID-19 on the Northwestern Qatar and MyNUQ websites and following applicable State of Qatar international travel self-isolation and quarantine requirements.
- Recognizing that individuals with the following conditions may have a higher risk of COVID-19 infection: age 65 or older, HIV, asthma, chronic lung disease, diabetes, serious heart condition, chronic kidney disease being treated with dialysis, severe obesity, immunocompromised, and certain pregnancy related conditions.
- If residing in University housing, you will review the Expectations for Residents During COVID-19 and follow the expectations set forth therein.
- I will complete training programs related to COVID-19 required by the University.
If you do not follow these expectations, you may be referred to the Office of Community Standards or your dean’s office for follow up, and understand that the consequences of regular non-compliance may include removal from campus and/or the University. If you have questions, you may raise them with the appropriate University office.