Reports and Initial Inquiry
Reports of Alleged Misconduct
- Reports of alleged violations of University policy by Northwestern students can be submitted via the Community Concerns Report. Reports can also be submitted by contacting the office at email@example.com or 847-491-4582.
- Reports of alleged violations of the Northwestern Policy on Sexual Misconduct by students can be made to the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students in the Office of Equity. Information on filing reports can be found on the web page: http://www.northwestern.edu/sexual-misconduct/
- Reports of alleged bias or hate related incidents can be reported to the Bias Incident Response Team. Information on filing reports can be found on the web page: https://www.northwestern.edu/inclusion/respectnu/reporting-bias-hate-incidents.html
The OCS also commonly receives incident reports through University entities including but not limited to Residential Services, Northwestern University Police Department, and the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office, as well as the other law enforcement agencies.
While anonymous incident reports will be reviewed by the OCS, the University’s ability to address alleged misconduct reported by anonymous sources is significantly limited; therefore, anonymous reports are discouraged.
- Close the Case: The OCS may close cases when insufficient information exists to move forward or when the alleged misconduct—even if substantiated— would not be a violation of policy. The OCS may, in its discretion, reopen a case in the future if additional information becomes available.
- Informal Resolution: Informal resolution involves action taken by the University in response to a situation or report of violation of University policy when formal resolution is not desired by the reporter or when there is not enough information to proceed with a formal resolution process.
- Formal Resolution: The conduct administrator may determine that there is reasonable information to suggest a policy violation may have occurred. In these cases, the OCS will refer the case to formal resolution for further investigation and formal resolution.
- Summary Resolution: Summary resolution involves administrative action taken when exigent circumstanced require immediate action to protect the welfare safety of the University community.
Additionally, the OCS will determine whether interim actions should be taken while the case is pending. Interim actions may include measures taken prior to the formal resolution to ensure the safety and security of the campus community.